The subsidised short term and long term psychodynamic counselling services are only available to residents of the London Borough of Barnet aged 18 or over (or clients have to be registered with a Barnet CCG listed GP). These services are accredited by the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP).
The full fee Dove Counselling Service is available to all.
We also provide Employee Assistance Programmes tailored to the needs of local businesses and their employees addressing work-related or personal issues.
There are times in most of our lives when we experiences distressing events and feelings which seem to have no end or solution in sight. This can be due to a particular circumstance such as bereavement, a difficult relationship, stress or illness, but sometimes we have no idea what is making us feel the way we do. All we know is that life has become uncomfortable, difficult or even intolerable.
It may not be possible to talk to family or friends, and you might feel that there is no one listening to you. It could be at these times that counselling may be a helpful option.
Counselling should provide the opportunity to make sense of your individual circumstances, leaving you better equipped to cope for the future. The counsellor aims to help the client reach their own understanding of their difficulties and to find their own ways of dealing with them. During the sessions, ideas, thoughts and feelings can be aired in a non-judgemental and confidential setting. We offer both long and short term counselling.
- You do not need a referral from your doctor or other professional to access the counselling service.
- You will be asked for your GP details at the initial meeting
- We do ask for a contribution to the cost of each session for the subsidised services for Barnet residents (for details see Counselling contributions)
- The full fee Dove Counselling service has a flat fee of £50
- All session are for fifty minutes and your session will be with the same counsellor weekly at a set time of day.
No illegal drugs or alcohol are allowed on the premises. You will be asked to leave if you are intoxicated or carry either of these substances.
We are committed to an intercultural approach and to equal opportunities.
All personal information disclosed to a counsellor is confidential to Mind in Barnet. No information will be disclosed to a third party without the prior permission of the individual concerned unless in exceptional circumstances, e.g. if there is an adult or child safeguarding concern, or as a requirement of a court of law.
Mind in Barnet has an Access to Records policy and complies with the Data Protection Act.
Mind in Barnet keeps confidential records and statistics about our clients. Records are kept for a limited period and are then destroyed. You can request to see your notes at any time. We will arrange a mutually convenient time for you to come to the office and read them. However Mind in Barnet retains ownership of the counselling records and original copies cannot be removed from the building.
We will give you more information about this when you come for your first session.
The short and long term counselling services at Mind in Barnet are accredited by the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) and as such are bound by its Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy and Professional Conduct Procedure. Under this code all of our counsellors are in regular supervision. Our counsellors are volunteers, some are BACP accredited, others are in the final stages of professional trainings and some are working towards BACP accreditation or UKCP registration.
Accessibility Statement Counselling Service
The Long and Short Term Counselling Service at Mind in Barnet is accessible to any resident of the London Borough of Barnet or any person who is registered with a GP practice that is covered by the Barnet Clinical Commissioning Group.
We aim to offer counselling that is both professional and affordable and at a range of times in response to user needs and preferences e.g. evening sessions.
The building and all the counselling rooms are wheelchair accessible. There is a designated disabled car parking space in the staff car park for clients and a disabled toilet on the ground floor.
We are however aware that our Counselling Service is not accessed by all those who need it. This may be for a number of reasons including unawareness of the existence of the services, an inability to speak English (we might depending on the counsellors volunteering be able to offer certain mother tongue counselling please contact the admin office for further information).
Strategy to address limitations
- Continuously update and improve information on our website
- Distribute Counselling Service leaflets and posters to GP surgeries, local hospitals, Barnet IAPT service and in libraries
- Maintain and improve links with other local providers of health and community services
- Continue to explore new ideas and avenues for promoting our services
- Ensure disabled access is maintained and improved where possible
- Continue to explore ways of bringing funding into the service so that low cost counselling can be offered to those whose means are limited
- Endeavour to recruit volunteer counsellors who fluently speak another language from English so as to provide counselling in alternative languages
Venue: Mind in Barnet, 55 Christchurch Avenue, London N12 0DG
Telephone: 020 8343 5700
Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday 10am – 9pm (last session 8pm)
Thursday 10am – 1pm (last session 12 noon)